How We Got Started
Kevin and his wife Rose encountered other cancer patients while Kevin was undergoing treatment. They met many families experiencing financial strain while fighting cancer. A cancer diagnosis often means missed days from work, frequent doctor visits, insurance co-pays, and expensive medications. Despite seemingly adequate health insurance coverage, the financial toll of having cancer can be devastating to a family.
Referrals to the Kevin Cain Memorial Foundation are received from area medical professionals in Delaware and Montgomery Counties, as well as personal referrals from members of the community. By working closely with oncology staff and social workers who have insight into the hardship each person is facing, we can provide what is most helpful to each person. In addition to trying to meet the specific needs of each family, we also work to reach out to each referral request without delay. Our unique approach provides assistance in a way that is respectful of the dignity of each individual.
The feedback received from medical professionals, patients, and their families strengthens our belief that we are doing important work. The Kevin Cain Memorial Foundation is committed to providing cancer patients and their families compassion, respect, and ultimately, hope.
How We've Helped Our Community
The Kevin Cain Memorial Foundation is committed to providing help for cancer patients and their families, while respecting the dignity of each person. Here are some examples of the assistance we have provided to over 1,000 families since 2005:
- Paid overdue bills for heating, electric and water utilities
- Send monthly checks to families to help pay their bills
- Provided appliances and furniture to families in need.
- Sent families on much needed vacations
- Helped families with costly travel expenses related to treatment.
- Funded dental care that was needed due to side effects of chemotherapy
- Provided families with gift cards to buy groceries
- Purchased wigs, lymphedema sleeves, and other medical supplies.
- Paid for prescription co-pays and medicines not covered by insurance
- Delivered Thanksgiving dinners
- Delivered trees, ornaments, lights, and gift cards to help families celebrate Christmas
The primary source of income for the Kevin Cain Memorial Foundation is the Kevin Cain Make My Day 5K Run & 1 Mile Walk, which is held every year in early spring.
This family-friendly event takes place on the scenic streets of Havertown, Pennsylvania. The 5K Run, which is timed electronically to ensure accurate and quick results, is a mostly flat course with two back-to-back hills towards the middle of the race.
Our 5K has become one of the most popular races in Delaware County, with over 1,000 people participating each year. One of the hallmarks of our race is the exceptionally encouraging and enthusiastic race marshals, who even dress up in costume to add to the fun of the race.